We are looking for a Head of Grounds Maintenance for a crematorium in Oxford. This is a great opportunity for someone with good self-management and communication skills.
The aim of the role is to ensure that the grounds of the crematorium are maintained to a high standard, and to provide assistance to other crematorium staff with their duties.
Outline of Duties:
- To undertake a wide variety of horticultural duties, particularly rose bed maintenance pruning, dead heading, edging etc.
- To carry out the maintenance of shrubs, planting, pruning, grass seeding and grass cutting to a high standard.
- To undertake general grounds maintenance, including laying turf, maintenance and creation of memorial areas, site preparation and construction as necessary.
- To be responsible for allocated machinery. Duties will include routine general maintenance and cleaning, arranging for quotes and periodical servicing of equipment in addition to the care of a range of hand tools and plant.
- To assist with the duties of the Chapel Attendant, including general cleaning and preparation of the service chapel, cloister, flower room and adjoining accommodation for services and public use.
- Attend services, direct funeral directors, mourners and members of the general public. Act as a pall bearer, both with other crematorium staff and with staff provided by Funeral Directors. Strew/inter cremated remains in the Garden of Remembrance when a family wish to be present and maintain a record of their location.
- Input into Obitas system music as per prelim for playing during the funeral service.
- Maintain floral displays in designated areas; allocate specific areas for floral tributes and dispose of flowers and floral tributes as necessary.
- Process enquiries from the general public and funeral directors.
- Having received the appropriate training, to operate the cremators and ancillary equipment within the guidelines of the ICCM Guiding Principles and the guidelines of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and subsequent amendments.
- To ensure the collection, identification, storage and final disposal of cremated remains in the Garden of Remembrance is maintained correctly and documented.
- To assist with meeting the period sales budgets
- The ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Car parking duties as necessary that is to organise parking at busy services
- Any other duties of a similar nature within the crematorium that may be reasonably requested by the Manager or his or her representative. This includes administration and use of the facility’s IT system.
- Have the ability to inter-change with all roles and team members to assist in the day-to-day running of the Memorial Park. This requires a high level of multi-tasking and willingness to work inside the building as well as outside in the gardens.
- A high degree of care and understanding is a major requirement of the post.
- In carrying out the different functions to be performed, clothing of the appropriate type must always be worn.
- Job holders must be of a height and strength permitting them to shoulder a coffin as part of a 4-person team during services.
- Client focus
- Good communication skills
- Team working
- Problem solving
- Integrity, sensitivity and commitment
Hours: 40 hr/week.
Salary: £26,000 per year.
If interested in this role, please apply directly or contact Beata on 01869 321 322 for more information.